Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Valentine's Party and Cherry Chocolate Cake!

1. Valentine's Party
Two weekends ago, my roommates and I decided to throw a party for Valentine's day. We had Valentine's drinks and Valentine's decorations, so I decided to make Valentine's cupcakes. I wanted something that would embrace the pink and red of the holiday, so I whipped up some strawberry cupcakes. These cupcakes are a basic white cake filled with strawberry compote and topped with the best strawberry frosting.
Here's a close-up of the filling:
I did two designs for the frosting: Candy hearts...
...And Heart Tattoos
2. Cherry Chocolate Cake
Last weekend I was home relaxing and realized that I haven't made an actual cake in a while, so I decided to make one! I have been trying to find a really good chocolate cake recipe for a long time, and I've heard that beets make chocolate cake really moist and rich, so I tried out a chocolate beet cake recipe. I wanted to mimic a black forest cake, so I did a dark chocolate beet cake with cherry filling and whipped cream cheese frosting. While the cake did turn out to be really yummy, I am most impressed with how pretty it looked! Here are the layers:

Cake and Cherry Filling:
Second Layer of Cake:
Frosting and Maraschino Cherries:
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment