Sunday, July 4, 2010

Red, White, and Blue Beignets!

While watching The Princess and the Frog, I couldn't stop looking at the delicious desserts that Tiana served up at the restaurant. They were deep fried and covered in powdered sugar; two things that add up to a great dessert! Here is a picture from the movie where Tiana makes those amazing looking desserts:


After doing some research, I learned that the doughy desserts that Tiana was making are beignets (pronounced ben-YAY). Beignets are popular in the French Quarter of New Orleans, as they are pretty much the French version of a doughnut.

I wanted to modify my beignets a little by adding fruit and cream cheese topping. I ended up creating three different sauces for my beignets: strawberry compote, blueberry compote, and cinnamon brown sugar cream cheese.

Here are the fresh fruits I used for the compotes:









Frying up the beignets:

Here is a close-up of the doughy, powdery beignet pile!
And here are the beignets with the different toppings:

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I just watched this movie for the first time last week! So cute. And your desserts seem to be getting more complex and sophisticated every time...looks like I'm going to be eating like a princess come September :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beignets!! Come save me from British food :(

    ReplyDelete